Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Grace Paley


I saw my ex-husband in the street. I was sitting on the steps of the new library.

Hello, my life, I said. We had once been married for twenty-seven years, so I felt justified.

He said, What? What life? No life of mine.

I said, O.K. I don't argue when there's real disagreement. I got up and went into the library to see how much I owed them.

The librarian said $32 even and you've owed it for eighteen years. I didn't deny anything. Because I don't understand how time passes. I have had those books. I have often thought of them. The library is only two blocks away.

1 Comments:

Blogger pal said...

Vull que em desenvolupis aquest post en un mail. entre el meu anglès i la meva darrera incultura literària...sembla suggerent, vull saber-ne més.

17/6/07 14:29  

Post a Comment

<< Home